Fully-Integrated Special Needs Plans (FIDE SNP)
A FIDE SNP is a type of health plansA group of doctors, specialists, clinics, pharmacies, hospitals, and long-term services and supports providers that work together to meet your needs (also called a managed care plan).
Full Definition > that includes all your MedicareThe federal program that provides health care benefits for people age 65 years and older as well as people of any age with certain disabilities or diseases.
Full Definition > and Medi-CalA government program that offers health care coverage for low-income Californians. (Medi-Cal is the federal-state Medicaid program in California.)
benefits, as well as some extra benefitsPayment of health care services and products. Medicare benefits pay for doctor visits, hospital care, prescription drugs, and some behavioral health services.
Full Definition >.
- To qualify for a FIDE SNP, you must have Medicare and Medi-Cal, be age 65 years or older, and live in a ZIP code where a FIDE-SNP is available. You must also need a high level of care for a disability or chronic condition and need extra help to live independently at home.
- You get extra help so you can live independently (like having shower grab bars and ramps installed). You will have someone, like a nurse or other helper, whose job is to be your main point of contact and help you get all the care you want and need.
- You have one card to carry and one phone number to call to get help with your care.
- You will have to use providers in your health plan'sA group of doctors, specialists, clinics, pharmacies, hospitals, and long-term services and supports providers that work together to meet your needs (also called a managed care plan).
Full Definition > networkA group of doctors, hospitals, pharmacies, and other health care providers that work with your health plan to provide your health care services.
(If your providers are not in the network, you can get help fidning providers that are.)
My ChoicesChoices available in your ZIP Code.
BenefitsImportant considerations about this choice.
Success StoriesLearn from others' personal experiences.
Next StepsGet help and find out how to enroll.
- A FIDE SNP health plan manages your Medicare AND Medi-Cal benefits.
- You have just one health plan card to carry and one phone number to call about your health care and other services.
- FIDE SNP health plans includes all your existing benefits (like doctors, hospitals, prescription drugs, medical suppliesMedically related supplies often ordered or prescribed by a doctor. They are typically disposable and used once. They include diabetic test strips, oxygen, and incontinence supplies.
, medical equipmentReusable equipment ordered or prescribed by your doctor for use at home, like walkers, wheelchairs, hospital beds, and more. Also known as durable medical equipment (DME).
, and short-term nursing facilityNursing facilities include nursing homes and rehabilitation facilities and provide nursing, rehabilitative, and medical care.
Full Definition > services). It also offers:
- Extra dental, hearing, and vision coverage
- TransportationPayment of medically necessary transportation. This can include ambulance, wheelchair van, taxi, ride-share service, or public transportation.
Full Definition > help
- Mental healthServices to promote mental health (like counseling or medication for feelings of sadness or stress).
and substance use helpServices that help people who are having problems with substances like alcohol or drugs.
- Personal care support servicesServices that help a person with activities of daily living (like getting in and out of bed, bathing, and dressing) as well as preparing meals and housekeeping.
Full Definition >
- Extra help so you can live in your home safely (like shower grab bars and ramps)
- Gym membership
- You can get a care coordinator. This is someone, like a nurse or other helper, whose job is to be your main point of contact and help you get all the health care services you need.
- FIDE SNP health plans have networks of providers (like doctors, hospitals, clinics, labs, and equipment suppliers). The health plan will ask you to see the providers in their network, because that is how they can help you best.
- If your doctor or hospital is not already in the health plan’s network, they might have to join the network, or you may have to change providers. You may also have to change where you get your medical supplies and equipment.
- Your FIDE SNP Care Coordinator can help you find new doctors and service providers that meet all your needs.
- A FIDE SNP health plan provides home-based medical and personal care support services through home care agencies. This means if you have IHSS and join a FIDE SNP health plan, you will likely have to change our IHSS caregiverA person who helps someone with activities of daily living (like bathing and dressing) and other needs (like housekeeping and meal preparation).
Full Definition > to receive in-home help.
To learn more and find out if you are eligible, contact Health Care Options at 1-800-430-4263 (TTY 1-800-430-7077).
How To Enroll
You can enroll by:
- Calling your local FIDE SNP health plan
- Find local health plans under the “My Choices” tab on this page.
- Calling 1-800-MEDICARE (TTY: 1-877-486-2048)
Download Helpful Tools
Use these tools to understand your next steps and organize your health information:
Contact Help Services
Visit our Get Help page for links and phone numbers to people who can help you understand your Medicare and Medi-Cal benefits and assist you in choosing a care option.